Aside from having a hip replacement to solve the problem...they hope, I have pursued alternative solutions to aid my health in general. That got me to Rick Williams here in Santa Cruz who had been a great help. Through him I bought a Salli backless desk chair. It is really more like a saddle, giddy up!
It has made a world of difference. Now I am researching a hydraulic desk that is sit/stand accommodating. I will keep you posted.
Watching a client make this transition at Apple has been thought provoking.
I am truly impressed how a company that values their talent is willing to do whatever it takes to accommodate an employee ergonomically. They are spending bunches more money on an adjustable desk than I am willing to do. But the investment is in improved health, productivity, lower medical expenses and time off, and high morale.
I will keep you posted on the desk.
Studies and articles listed on Jesse Noller's blog I found very helpful, thanks!
- Sitting time and mortality from all causes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer.
- Leisure Time Spent Sitting in Relation to Total Mortality in a Prospective Cohort of US Adults
- Physiologists And Microbiologists Find Link Between Sitting And Poor Health
- Can’t Stand to Sit Too Long? There’s a Desk for That
- "Why your desk job is killing you slowly" - Men's Health (HN Link)
- "Your Office Chair is Killing you" - Businessweek (HN Link)
- "Sitting all Day: Worse for you than you might think" - NPR (HN Link)